John 15: 1-16, The Vine and Branches
How will we know Jesus
What will Jesus act like
The lesson really starts with the question asked by Judas (not Iscariot) in
John 14: 22, “Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
Jesus’ reply is a long list of ways that He will manifest Himself to His believers. The list goes from John 14: 23 to John 16: 16. The “vine and branches” lesson is part of His reply (John 15: 1-16).
So God will only manifest Himself to His believers. In John 9: 31 He says, "We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him"
John 14: 21, Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."
23, Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
24, He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me
What are Christian fruits?
They are the product of yielding to Christ who is active and living in you. And when you live a Christian life you share those good fruits with others.
Galatians 6: 7
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
God wants you to stop sowing bad seeds and start sowing good seeds everywhere you go and with everyone you see. When you get saved you become a child of God. Every time a believer does something bad it reflects badly on God. Your bad actions make people think bad things about God and God is not happy about that. Those bad things also come back on to you. The same thing is true of good things you do. Everything you do is like a seed that is planted in someone or something. That seed grows up and reproduces its self. bad seeds produce bad things and good seed produce good things. It is very important that you only plant GOOD seeds because you will reap what you sow. How do you stop bad seeds? By making a quality decision. I will not do bad things! If I do not pass along the bad things that are done to me then I have killed those bad seeds.
Galatians 5:22-23, the character of Christ in you.
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
2 Peter 1:5-8
5. For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
6. and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness;
7. and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
8. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Colossians 1:10, Fruit from our works and knowledge of Christ.
10. so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,
15. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only;
16. for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need.
17. Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account.
18. I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.
19. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
22. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!
Romans 1:13, The people we lead to Christ are our fruit.
13. I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.
I Corinthians 16:15
15. You know that the household of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of the Lord’s people. I urge you, brothers and sisters,
Hebrews 13:15, The words of Christ talking through us.
15. Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.
Luke 4: 18-19,
The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.
The “Vine and Branches” Lesson, (John 15: 1-16)
As you see in John 14: 21-24 (above), this lesson is aimed at believers. It is also a warning to believers who are not serious about living the life that Christ wants you to live.
1. I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.
Jesus is the source in your life for strength and your daily needs, while the Father places you where you need to be according to Gods’ plan for you. God must separate the people who are serious about Christ from those who are not. If God let everyone into heaven, heaven will be just like here. Do you really want heaven to be just like here? I don't! I know that living this life is not easy but with God's help you can do it. The living God is on your side. He wants you to win. He wants you to get to heaven. There is no benefit to God if you quite. He really does want you to go to heaven! He has invested a lot in insuring that you have every opportunity to be successful.
Part of your success comes from taking the Fathers corrections seriously and those corrections will make you mature in the things of God. Read the verses at the end of this lesson. They will lift you up and encourage you.
2. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.
Christians who are not serious about their relationship with Christ may eventually give up their salvation and back slide, by their own choice, while active real believers are corrected and grow in Christ. We’re not perfect but we’re seriously working on it.
3. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.
You are cleaned by the Word when you give your heart to Christ It is called “get saved”.
4. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
5. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
6. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
It is your choice, but if you turn your back on Christ you will end up in hell, unless you repent. Jesus is telling you very clearly. You must walk the walk not just talk the talk! You must live the life of Christ and give up the world and all of its sin. If you’re not serious with Christ how can you expect Him to be serious with you.
7. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.
You only get your prayers answered if you are serious with Christ.
8. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
If you say you’re a Christian and don’t live it, you have turned your back on Christ. You have sinned! You need to repent!
9. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
10. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love.
You must do what Christ has said in his Word.
11. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
12. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
No back biting, back stabbing, lying, cheating, steeling. (long list), You must be honest to a fault with everyone. You must operate in love and patients with everyone, even people you don't like.
13. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
Jesus did that for us, and that is exactly what Christ is telling you to do. Give up the life you had and start a brand new life in Christ. Don’t run from Christ with your problems but run to Christ with you problems. He is the way the truth and the life. He has the answers you need and He wants to be an active part of your life. Friends spend time with each other, spend time with Jesus.
14. You are my friends if you do what I command.
15. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his masterís business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
6. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit —fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. He will answer your prayers.
Pray with me, say this prayer with your mouth so that you can hear your own words.
Father, I pray that you would forgive me of my sins, come into my heart, lead and guide me in the things that I should do. Fill me with your Holy Spirit, and lead me to a great Christian church where I can grow in you. Amen.
There is a really outstanding little book by Charles Capps called “God’s Creative Power will work for you”. It sells for about $2.00 at most Christian book stores. I really highly recommend that little book and I don’t get a penny for it. It is that good.
1. Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
3. Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence.
4. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge;
5. his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
6. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
7. nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.
8. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.
9. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.
10. If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling,
11. no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent.
12. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;
13. they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
14. You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.
16. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation. ”
1. I will extol the Lord at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.
2. I will glory in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
3. Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together.
4. I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.
5. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.
6. This poor man called, and the Lord heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles.
7. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
8. Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
9. Fear the Lord, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing.
10. The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
11. Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
12. Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
13. keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies.
14. Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.
15. The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry;
16. but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to blot out their name from the earth.
17. The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles.
18. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
19. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all;
20. he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.
21. Evil will slay the wicked; the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
22. The Lord will rescue his servants; no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.
Notes from the author: This lesson was written and distributed by: Apple Sauce Kids on the Internet at http://applesaucekids.com or we can be E-mailed at email@example.com
Please feel free to use this lesson: copy, teach, translate into other languages, place on the Internet and electronic Bulletin Boards, and distribute for non-profit personal ministry reasons, as often as you wish. Yes, you can copy this lesson and use it on your web site, but please leave these "Notes from the author" with the lesson. Freely you have received this lesson, and freely you should give it to someone else. (written on June 3, 2012)
©2012 Apple Sauce Kids. All rights reserved.